So, I fudge it. For something like the spider queen, I drew one half of the queen until I was happy with it, and mirrored it.
Next step is to use paint.net to turn her into a monster.
The four images above are:
- The original scan
- the original scan minus the paper lines
- Then I mirrored the original image
- Then I colored it
For the "Polygon of Horror", the boss is protected by shield generators that look like this:
They spin. And you might notice that it's more or less perfectly symmetrical.
- Drew just the one arm as two separate pieces
- Scanned it in
- pulled the paper lines and artifacts out of the image
- Then I assembled the two pieces as separate layers
- Then copy/pasted the arm 3 times adding 90-degree rotation each time (for a total of 8 layers)
- Then I started coloring it in.
- The smaller center piece is just a scaled down copy of the the outer piece
- The center circles are little bit of cheating,
- I didn't actually draw those by hand, but rather decided once it was in the game that it needed a little "ejector" from which nastiness (for the player) will spawn.